Support OneGreenPlanet[accept_stripe_payment name="OGP" description="Support Us" button_text="Submit" class="donate-btn-class" id="customButton"]
Warm olives with some oregano, lemon zest, and Italian seasoning blend. Can you smell it from here? Then you mix up the pasta with some dark green veggies — just your standard broccoli and spinach, nothing fancy. Pour on a big spoonful of your favorite tomato sauce, or maybe just some crushed tomatoes. Sprinkle the oats over top, along with a happy generous drizzle of good olive oil. Dive in and slurp up those noodles.
Sweet Potato Spaghetti With Olive Toasted Oats [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 big sweet potatoes (about 1 pound each)
- 1 10-ounce package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove excess water
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped to florets and lightly steamed
- 1 cup of olives, chopped
- 1 scant cup of fresh basil
- 1 1/2-2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon microplane grated garlic
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce
- Spiralize the sweet potatoes on the thinnest setting.
- Boil the sweet potatoes for 2-3 minutes, then drain right away.
- Toss the sweet potato spaghetti with the spinach. Set aside.
- Melt a the coconut oil in a big skillet over medium heat.
- Toast the olives for about 2 minutes, the add the oats, garlic, zest, oregano, and Italian seasoning.
- Cook the oats and olives, stirring frequently, until the oats darken and become fragrant. This will take about 10-15 minutes. If the oats don't appear to be darkening, stir less.
- When the oats are toasted, stir in the crushed red pepper. Add salt if needed, but you can probably skip it since the olives are pretty salty.
- Re-warm the pasta if need be.
- To serve, divide the pasta among the serving bowls and toss with the basil. Add a handful of oats over top and spoon on crushed tomatoes/tomato sauce as desired. Finish off with a drizzle of olive oil.